The SMART Visa, which will come into effect on 1 February 2018, will encourage foreign talents and investors to invest in the 10 targeted industries of Thailand. It is hoped that it will enhance knowledge transfer and increase the competitiveness of Thailand in the global economy.
The SMART Visa is a new type of visa specially designed to encourage highly-skilled professionals and talents to work or invest in the 10 targeted S-Curve industries, namely (1) next-generation automotive, (2) smart electronics, (3) affluent, medical and wellness tourism, (4) agriculture and biotechnology, (5) food for the future, (6) robotics, (7) aviation and logistics, (8) biofuels and biochemicals, (9) digital, and (10) medical hub.
The four categories of people who are eligible to apply for SMART Visa are (1) Talent (2) Investor (3) Executive (4) Startup and (5) Others (i.e. legal dependents, namely spouse and children, if any).
The SMART Visa provides more benefits and privileges than any other types of visa. These benefits include:
(1) Visa validity up to 4 years (instead of the usual 1 year)
(2) No requirement of work permit
(3) Extension of reporting of stay to Immigration Bureau – from every 90-day to every year
(4) The right of legal dependents (spouse and children) of the SMART Visa holder to live and work in Thailand equivalent to SMART visa holder (only SMART T type allows dependents of SMART Visa holder to work in Thailand).
SMART Visa fees:
Valid for 1 year: 350€
Valid for 2 years: 700€
Valid for 3 years: 1,050€
Valid for 4 years: 1,400€
After the Embassy approves your application, you will be contacted by email for a visa fee payment (bank transfer).
All required supporting documents have to be scanned and uploaded. Applicant must print the confirmation page and submit it with the hard copy of all supporting documents, in person or by post, either to:
- the Royal Thai Embassy in Helsinki, or
- One-Stop Service Centre for Visa and Work Permit (OSS)